*Disclaimer*

Please note that the opinions reflected on this blog are solely MY opinion. They do not reflect the Peace Corps or the US Government in any way.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The happs (What's happening)


Well. It’s about 3 months (give or take) before I leave on the biggest adventure I’m sure I’ll ever have. I decided to start a blog in order to give my friends and family something to read and keep up with while I’m away. I guess I should probably start at the beginning, what brought me into this situation in the first place. Forewarning, this first entry will probably be bland, sterile and grammatically correct seeming as how I’ve never written anything people will be reading before (as I get more comfortable I’m sure I’ll spice it up so that you guys will actually want to keep up with what I’m doing.) 

I have been invited to serve as a Peace Corps volunteer in Senegal (West Africa for those of you that don’t know where that is, yes, I had to Google it myself when I first got my letter). My departure date is June 12th, 2012. 12 is my lucky number so I’m thinking that must be a good sign. I’ve already been in contact with volunteers currently serving in Senegal and prospective volunteers that will be a part of my training group. The thought of getting on a plane and leaving behind my friends and family for 27 months physically makes me sick. Meeting these people ahead of time and knowing that they will be going through the same feelings of uneasiness makes things SO much better.

The application process was loooong and if there’s one thing I could say to anyone who would like to try to join the Peace Corps someday, they aren’t kidding when they say start applying at least a YEAR before you would theoretically leave. I mean, I get it, they want to make sure you are patient and that you realize what you’re getting yourself into. After a few minor mishaps, a follow-up phone call (about a year and a half after I had initially applied) that I assumed was just a courtesy call ended up with the woman on the other end telling me that I had been accepted and would receive my official letter in the mail. WOWZA. I remember running through the house screaming for my mom to tell her the news. We both cried and were in slight shock but I was also trembling with excitement. Finally. My life was headed on a more definitive path and it was something I was incredibly proud of.

In the next three months most of my posts will probably include me freaking out about leaving and what I’m doing to prepare for 27 months of my life living in Africa. I still can’t even write that without getting chills. Living in Africa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, if you want to read this, that’s fine. If not, that’s fine too! I’m assuming there’s at least one person out there who will want an update of what I’m doing and that’s one enough for me.

Au revoir pour maintenant mon amis! (Oh yeah, I’ll be speaking French and Wolof (local African language) for the next 2 years so I’ve gotta start practicing somewhere haha).

1 comment:

  1. You should be proud of yourself for even trying to get into the PC. This will be a very scary, but very exciting experience for you. I would really,like to follow you on your adventure. Thank you you in advance for letting me! Africa does not no what it is in for...good luck, be safe, do good, have fun and meet wonderful people.
    Jacks

    ReplyDelete